Header

Header

Sunday 17 November 2013

Anodyne - Completed

If you are in your twenties, this is the only game you should play this year. It's an inspirational game made by people like us, about us.

I grew up on Final Fantasy and Zelda. This game fits into that world, explores it further in many respects and falls short as well. As you go through the game, you realize these game devs played those games, and they remember what it was like to be a kid. The nostalgia goes beyond the stylization and pixel art. It's as much an homage to the genre as it is to the kids that played the genre back in the nineties. The game is a gift to it's users. For that reason, it gets high remarks from me. I have trouble critiquing what I didn't enjoy because it was part of the art. The previously mentioned games are tedious, and Anodyne has annoying spots that require some sort of jujitsu to jump holes..

The game features the best post completion New Game+ experience that I've come across. I won't give away spoilers, but the rabbit hole goes deep...real deep.

A must play for any avid gamer.






No comments:

Post a Comment